George Dixon Usher
The founder of G.D.Usher & Son, in 1870. Many of the Victorian properties in Coniston were the result of this mans endeavours. Yewdale road was built by the firm and we believe, that when completed he struggled to sell them so had to take a loss that left them in strained circumstances.
G.D.U. also did much work for John Ruskin that still exists at Brandtwood and reveals the standard of craftsmanship.
Ruskin regarded him highly and was amazed to find that this tradesman could not read or write.